Startups:The Road to Unicorn
- Startups:The Road to Unicorn
- Can the military academies compete with Stanford and Harvard in venture? Two veterans are raising $50M to find out June 21, 2021Soldier-entrepreneurs are unfortunately still a rare breed in Silicon Valley, despite the region’s origins in Cold War defense spending. While the courage and perseverance required to fight in an overseas battlefield (or the office bureaucracy on base) would seem a perfect fit for the travails of the founder, the reality is that the journey from […]
- Maybe neobanks will break even after all June 21, 2021Neobanking has yet to show that it can generate positive, growing free cash flows over a multiyear period. But their results at least indicate that such incomes could occur in time.
- Porsche to make high-performance batteries in joint venture with Customcells June 21, 2021Luxury sports car manufacturer Porsche AG is going into the battery business. The automaker said Monday it plans to open a new factory that will produce high-performance cells through a joint venture with lithium-ion battery developer Customcells. Porsche invested in “the high double-digit millions” in the new joint venture, dubbed Cellforce Group GmbH, executive board […]
- Biden’s executive order on cybersecurity should include behavior transparency June 21, 2021The cyber executive order, alongside sanctions on Russia, are strong indications the Biden administration intends to take a far more proactive approach to cybersecurity. But it's not quite enough.
- Seed is not the new Series A June 21, 2021Most Series A investors today look for around $2 million in annual recurring revenues (ARR) before they lean in, but getting to that figure is a very long and thorny path.
- Equity Monday: China hates crypto, and the Vision Fund’s vision lives on June 21, 2021Our live show is this week! And we're very excited about it! It's free, of course, so swing by and hang with us.
- Hyundai completes deal for controlling interest in Boston Dynamics June 21, 2021Hyundai this morning announced that it has completed its acquisition of Boston Dynamics. The deal, which values the innovative robotics company at $1.1 billion, was announced in late-2020. The companies have not disclosed any future financial details. The South Korean automotive giant now owns a controlling interest in Boston Dynamics, previously belonging to SoftBank. The […]
- Music licensing marketplace Songtradr raises $50M June 21, 2021Music licensing marketplace Songtradr this morning announced a $50 million Series D. The oversubscribed round — which features Regal, Aware Super, Perennial, Argo and Greencape — follows a $30 million raise last August, bringing the Los Angeles company’s total funding to north of $100 million. The platform licenses music to high-profile names for advertising, films, […]
- Buy now, pay later startup Kredivo doubles its debt facility from Victory Park Capital to $200M June 21, 2021Kredivo announced today it has secured another $100 million debt facility from Victory Park Capital (VPC). This doubles the Indonesian digital lending and credit platform’s total warehouse financing facility from VPC to $200 million. The first round was closed in July 2020. Kredivo is operated by Singapore-based fintech FinAccel. This is the largest loan facility […]
- WaitWhat raises $12M to double down on what comes after podcasts June 21, 2021As podcasting continues to gain ground among mainstream consumers as a digital media platform alongside music, video, and the printed word, a startup that made a name for itself through building content for the medium has closed a round of funding to help it explore what comes next. WaitWhat, co-founded by two of the people […]